HERITAGE & RESTORATION PROJECTS
GLEN KEEN HERITAGE RESTORATION PROGRAMME
We are all caretakers of the land and the history it holds. Glen Keen’s vision is to protect, repair, and preserve Irish heritage, starting with what is found in our backyard.
From the late 1600s to 1847, Glen Keen was inhabited by 40 Irish tenant farm families living under the local landlord, the Marquis of Sligo. Today, the valley at Glen Keen provides a living museum for its visitors. It is home to centuries of Irish heritage etched throughout the landscape, including the unharvested potato ridges from the 1840s famine years. There is an abundance of built heritage on the property that include two Bronze Age ring forts, an ancient ‘Cilin’ burial ground, and a number of original tenant farmhouses. Some of these buildings have been dated back one thousand years from a recent archaeological site survey. Currently, ongoing restoration and repair works ensure our built heritage remains for generations to come.